This lot has long served the civic functions of the city of Florence.
The Florence Fire Department rented horse from Jesse Patton, who opened a livery stable on this block in the 1890s.
Jesse Patton's Livery, 1900.
An early photograph of the Florence Fire department next to the Jefferson Hotel.
The original city hall was built in 1893 and later converted into the Jefferson Hotel in 1902.
Looking down Tennessee Street to the City Hall building, c. 1900.
The Jefferson Hotel
Florence Fire Department. This building fronted Pine Street in the middle of this block.
The Jefferson was the upscale hotel in downtown Florence
Constance Perkins opened a barbershop inside the Jefferson in 1915.
Constance Perkins, above, was allegedly forced to leave Florence in 1921 for failing to comply with Florence's segregation laws.
A cafe inside the hotel catered to guests and community members alike
This view shows the Jefferson Hotel looking west from Court Street
In February 1922, Jack O'Neal, "the Human Fly" paid a visit to Florence to climb the Jefferson Hotel, "without the assistance of anything except his hands and feet." It is unclear if he was successful or not.
This photo shows the Jefferson Hotel after a fire in 1923, one week after it was purchased by Charles Negley.
Negley built a new hotel on the same site.
The Hotel Negley.
The Hotel Negley.
The back of the Hotel Negley and the front of the Florence fire department.
The fire station still stands on Pine Street.
This postcard shows the Hotel Negley, looking southwest on Tennessee Street
Inside the Hotel Negley
The Hotel Negley featured a formal dining room, a grille, and this beauty salon, with opened in 1947.
By 1959 the Negley had its own Coffee Shop.
Hotel Negley as viewed from Court Street.
Overhead view of Short Court St., 1933
Jerry Landrum was the son of G.W. Landrum whose iconic photographs of Florence are an integral part of our city's history. Jerry's studio was located on Short Court Street in the 1950s.
This is an advertisement for one of the businesses located along Short Court, on what was once called "Intelligence Row"
2nd Courthouse and Short Court Street, 1962
Newspaper article about the new municipal building (1 of 2)
Newspaper article about the new municipal building (2 of 2)
The Florence Municipal Building was completed in 1954