210 North Court Street
It was initially built to house Shepard’s Grocery. The grocery store was owned by local businessman William A. Shepard and was part of Shepard & Crow. Shepard and his partner had a second grocery store location in Seven Points, just north of downtown and what is now the University of North Alabama’s campus.
By 1935, the Tri-Cities Directory does not account for a 210 North Court Street but instead shows the City Café at 208 North Court Street. The City Café is pictured in a 1940s photograph alongside the Majestic Theatre and The First National Bank next door. Though the address has changed, the building is the same one that Shepard’s Grocery occupied prior.
The building’s address reverts back to 210 North Court Street (there is no longer a 208 represented) and lists McIntosh Brothers Men’s Clothing at this location in 1945. Though McIntosh Brothers’ time at this location was short-lived, another menswear retailer soon took its place. Otto Speake Menswear opened in 1952 and was a fixture of the downtown business community for many years.